Thursday, March 14, 2013

Google Assassinates Reader, Shoots Google Apps in the Foot

As I am currently in the middle of evaluating Google Apps, today's news of the assassination of Google Reader comes as a horrible shock.

My evaluation was going very well, I even found out that my Email Security/Archive Vendor Mimecast seems to now support Google Apps to a certain extent, at least enough to make me finally feel comfortable enough to seriously consider switching everyone into Google's cloud and retire our aging MS Exchange server.

But then Google reminds me that they no longer claim to do no evil.  They deftly put a bullet in my favorite Google product, Reader.  Reader allows me to try to follow the several hundred blogs, vendors, and other pages that I would absolutely never have the time to actually visit daily.  It is my single go-to place to see everything at once.  It's not like Twitter or Facebook because it's not totally overrun by garbage.

For Google to simply announce the death of one of their flagship offerings without any exception made for current users is reprehensible.  Why in the world would I base my organization's entire infrastructure on Google Apps when Google will simply suddenly kill parts without any warning, without any sunset plan?  (3 months is not a sunset plan, especially when there are no alternatives provided)

Google may have aimed for Google Reader's head, but the bullet also struck Google Apps.


No comments: